Tuesday, August 30, 2005

More about me!

Really, it's more of a critique of this personity type as it applies to me.

Internally=intuition, External=rationally and logically. Sounds like me.

"INTJs live in the world of ideas and strategic planning. They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others." I expect people to be people (within all the extremes of the spectrum.)

"Their mind constantly gathers information and makes associations..." Yup.

"...usually are very quick to understand new ideas." Uh, huh.

"..they do not follow an idea as far as they possibly can, seeking only to understand it fully..." Yes, I am lazy.

"INTJs are driven to come to conclusions about ideas." Too deep for me.

"...excellent scientists..." Except that California prop. 13 cut the funding so I never interned at JPL. I gave up a chance at a full scholarship at Harvey Mudd. I settled for computer bum instead. I do wish my life had taken another path.

"It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions." Change not easy to near impossible. Nothing in my mind can really be expressed with language. It's very lonely.

"The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand." Ok, so they say the same thing. (Update: I need to emphasize the 'highly individualized' point. INTJ's are a very rare type, but I've met and worked with a few. There thoughts processes were not anything like mine, even though I'm definitely an INTJ. I've been tested during a management workshop and have retested occasionally, many years apart, always with the same result. Interestingly, I was able to perceive some things that only a different group of types -represented by about 25% of the population - are usually able. I may be a rare bird indeed? But then, there's only one and only you too!)

"...their ideas, which are non-linear." Most truly.

"However, their extreme respect of knowledge and intelligence will motivate them to explain themselves to another person who they feel is deserving of the effort." Yes.

"...natural leaders, ...they usually choose to remain in the background until they see a real need to take over the lead." Right, many examples in my life.

"When they are in leadership roles, they are quite effective, because they are able to objectively see the reality of a situation, and are adaptable enough to change things which aren't working well." Quite effective? This requires followers. Not being able to get people to understand something or a willingness to follow often produces less than effective results.

"They are the supreme strategists - always scanning available ideas and concepts and weighing them against their current strategy, to plan for every conceivable contingency." Supreme huh, I'll try not to get a big head... but the fact is, I _IS_ good!

"...lot of time inside their own minds, and may have little interest in the other people's thoughts or feelings." Not entirely true. I do care, but it doesn't really matter. Does it?

"...a tendency to ignore details which are necessary for implementing their ideas." Always a danger.

"...put everything that they encounter into an understandable and rational system" Sounds about right.

"...they are quick to express judgments." Yes, but subject to revision at any time with new data.

"very evolved intuitions" Perhaps.

"...convinced that they are right about things." Only if evidence supports the belief and subject to suspension of (dis)belief when contradictory evidence exists.

"Unless they complement their intuitive understanding with a well-developed ability to express their insights, they may find themselves frequently misunderstood." I'm doomed! Oh, that's why I blog!!!

"In these cases, INTJs tend to blame misunderstandings on the limitations of the other party, rather than on their own difficulty in expressing themselves." No! I blame me.

"This tendency may cause the INTJ to dismiss others input too quickly, and to become generally arrogant and elitist." I have a highly developed sense of humility... but this is often not observed by others. I abhor arrogance.

"...ambitious..." Off and on.

"...self-confident..." Who else am I suppose to be confident in? God, are you listening?

"...deliberate..." Which is a real pain when it comes to writing.

"...long-range thinkers..." Lot of good it's done me. Waited until I was 40 something to marry, three years later I'm divorced.

"...dislike messiness and inefficiency..." But I could be a frustrated perfectionist.

"...truly have affection or regard for others, they simply do not typically feel the need to express it. Others may falsely perceive the INTJ as being rigid and set in their ways. Nothing could be further from the truth, because the INTJ is committed to always finding the objective best strategy to implement their ideas. The INTJ is usually quite open to hearing an alternative way of doing something." Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. - Commited? I don't know.- Yes.

"When under a great deal of stress, the INTJ may become obsessed with mindless repetitive, Sensate activities, such as over-drinking. They may also tend to become absorbed with minutia and details that they would not normally consider important to their overall goal." Interesting point, must watch for this. I do see examples that might fit this description (and I should be a diamond already with the stress I've had in my life.)

"INTJs need to remember to express themselves sufficiently, so as to avoid difficulties with people misunderstandings. In the absence of properly developing their communication abilities, they may become abrupt and short with people, and isolationists." Generally I am not short with anybody.

"INTJs have a tremendous amount of ability to accomplish great things. They have insight into the Big Picture, and are driven to synthesize their concepts into solid plans of action. Their reasoning skills gives them the means to accomplish that. INTJs are most always highly competent people, and will not have a problem meeting their career or education goals. They have the capability to make great strides in these arenas. On a personal level, the INTJ who practices tolerances and puts effort into effectively communicating their insights to others has everything in his or her power to lead a rich and rewarding life."

So? Effective communications is the problem? I've always known that, but have never been able to do anything about it. I've always been bothered when somebody praises me for how well I've expressed something when I know that I absolutely haven't been able to express anything at all. Yes, it is lonely. Now, let's never do this again, ok?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home